iLife FAILures

The fire of software irritation has been relit. This time during a test, so ultimately I didn’t smash anything or walk away and do 200 pushups, but I was reminded of what I could expect if I began working on projects again.

Today and Previously…

With iMovie:

While working on MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB of RAM in iMovie I am astonished to find that projects fail to save, even after being ‘shared.’ I build a project, doing footage cuts and edits, adjusting audio tracks, adding titles and effects and then depending on the situation I quit iMovie. (In some cases, I find that iMovie ceases to respond, hanging on the addition of titles, however in other cases I simply exit the program at the end of my work day) After opening the program again, within seconds or the following day, I find that the project exists but my updates have vanished. In some cases I find that titles revert to their initial text or some previous placeholder text, in other cases all edits are gone and the project is representative of some earlier state, in some cases this means there are no clips associated with the project and it appears empty.

At this point I shudder, exclaim loudly, pound my fists, massage my ears and begin again. – “breathe John”  It’s frustrating.

With iWeb:

Publishing and Layers seem to frustrate me to the max.

The publishing feature, when publishing to an FTP server, iWeb believes it owns all files within the directory and not only the files it has created, so be careful because if you upload something via your FTP client separate from iWeb and then use iWeb to ‘delete’ a iWeb site that is published to the same folder, you’ll end up deleting all files, iWeb and other that exist within that directory.  This happened when I uploaded an entire Drupal site to the same directory as contained a single page splash screen from iWeb that was no longer being used.  So if you do delete a site, be sure to erase all the FTP settings prior to changing files.

More so, in the last few weeks I’ve discovered a condition of iWeb that I have yet to resolve pertaining to their layering system.  I have three objects, image, speech bubble object, and RSS feed.  Per normal layering exercises I move the image to “the back” and the RSS feed to “the front” and I should expect the speech bubble to sit somewhere in between (as I’ve got text and other things about that are not near this mess)  However, iWeb seems to hide my RSS feed somewhere in the background on many occasions… and now as if to cause more trouble, the RSS feed is no longer readable.  Who knows.  It’s frustrating.

*RSS feed is from Twitter

With iTunes:

Podcasts don’t auto delete after being played.

Keeping my library on an external drive means that when I disconnect the drive and open iTunes, my library directory is reset and podcasts downloaded are put onto my machine.  Then when I reattach the external drive, iTunes seems to reestablish the correct library location, however the downloaded podcasts are now sitting in my smart playlists for ever as broken links.  It’s frustrating.

With Garage Band:

nada, yet…

With iPhoto:

nada, yet…

Perhaps it’s my machine, perhaps it’s my 28,000 strong iPhoto library, or my 1 TB of media.  I write this in the hope that some poor soul is also experiencing this problem and writes me a letter to inform me that I’m a damn fool for not doing X, Y, or Z. Oh please, I wish it is going to be that easy. Please, tell me it’s so!

Apple’s Darwin, looking for the setup

I’ve just ‘installed’ via my Dreamhost hosting service, a Darwin Quicktime streaming server and I can’t seem to find the right combination of settings to get my movies from iMovie and working on the server space.

Using export functions within iMovie and then uploading to my directory via Filezilla, I’ve attempted to export with both .mov formats and .mp4 formats, I’ve selected the ‘streaming’ box when exporting in .mp4 and still I’ve found nothing to work.  The error I receive once I open the site and quicktime automatically launches is that I’m attempting to play an “unsupported media type.”  Drat.  !  Thoughts?

VIDEO REMOVED.

blog.JohnMizell.com

Over the past month I’ve been trying to manage my plethora of domains and sites within these domains, making it easier for folks to access the things they want without needing to click through pages I create just because I find them to be purdy.  After mentally detailing how I could construct such a system that would then have the longevity to be efficient, as my last few attempts at maintaining a site have failed, miserably.  I have finally got something that everyone, it seems I talk with, can get behind.

Here’s how it will work.  Domains I buy will stay splash screens, while sites I create, just for giggles, go under their own sub-domain.  That way they can come and go as they please.  I’ll attach all personal info to johnmizell, while all project based info to thecalifornias.org.  Right, simple, you say.  Yes, I agree.  However, doing the data transfer is a bit more harrowing, including tiny bits of recoding, and a whole lot of luck, making sure I don’t screw something up as I move ALL my sites around.  My track record is not very good.  Yet, this morning I successfully accomplished the complete move of thecalifornias.org to blog.johnmizell.com in it’s complete form.  And that’s a step in the right direction.  So, now, use www.johnmizell.com as your portal to keep up to date on what’s new, and when you find a project site you really enjoy, don’t be afraid to bookmark it, because it’s not going to change any more!  HOORAY.

The End.